Monday, March 15, 2010

Sonetimes I Have a Propensity for Words

You know when someone calls your name, except it's not you they are calling? You turn your head around trying to find a familiar face, but it ends up being some small child with your name. Or maybe when you see a sign with your name on it [Your-name-here-Ave.]. It catches your eye and you chuckle to yourself reading it. That's what this week felt like. And no, those exact things didn't happen, yet there was something that caught my attention. My name was being called; my Kaleo name to be exact. This week was an amazing week filled with Gospels class. This class was so good and I really appreciated the insight Wes gave to our understanding of the story of Jesus. He even read out of a Greek Bible as he taught us. [Now that should be the new definition of cool. Ha.] Perhaps it was only myself that noticed, but a reoccurring theme that seemed to be mentioned daily was genuine obedience (and sometimes the genuine forgiveness of God, genuine worship, and so on.) Of course, this caught my attention right away.
Genuine.
Let's see what Merriam-Webster has to say on this subject!

gen·u·ine (jny-n)
adj.
1.
a. actually having the reputed or apparent qualities or character
b. actually produced by or proceeding from the alleged source or author
c. sincerely and honestly felt or experienced
d. actual, true
2. free from hypocrisy or pretense : sincere

(I actually prefer pronouncing it jen-u-wine myself, instead of "win")
I like what letter b. has to say. Which would lead me to conclude that true genuineness is bearing the image of God.
Interesting.
For other things, I realize now more than ever I have a thirst for words and languages. For example, this past Saturday we took a trip into Vic. Abs, Care, Maris, and Myself had a lot of free time so we sat in Chapters and read books. I was really into the Greek/Hebrew/Spanish/'everything else you can think of' books and tried to teach myself languages in that short time. Maybe I will take Greek or Hebrew at BCrest next year. [p.s. If you ever go to Vic, go to the NoodleBox to eat. It was sooo good!]
So this last Friday, there was once again no youth because of spring break. Sunday was a great day of church, lunch at Edgar and Dixie's (great family), and homeless ministry in the evening. Even though some of us didn't necessarily talk to anyone that day, I think I am learning a lot more about the importance of prayer. Just like at the Olympics, I am falling more in love with prayer than I ever have and seeing the effects of it is definitely sweet.
Tomorrow is DTG! Finally, we can ditch those guys!
Just kidding.
I can imagine that it'll be fun though.
That's all I have to say, so I will end before this gets more random.

Genuinely,
Jader

0 comments:

Post a Comment