Monday, March 29, 2010

I JUST LOVE SURFING

Well, well, well. Another week and another blog post to talk about it.
This week has been good and busy busy busy. (Wow, I realize that I'm being redundant so I will stop).
So anyway, Tues. we loaded our stuff into the vans to travel once more to Tofino! Whoo. We stopped at the same spots as we did last time; Coombs-- where I bought some paint and canvases and now I'm so excited to use them. A few of us also talked to the guy that always sits outside the ice cream hut to play his red and black guitar-- Rev, I believe his name is. I enjoy his music and conversation. We also stopped at Cathedral Grove and the Rapids once more. On this trip we were privileged to have a few people come and hang with us: Cal Carter, Aaron Denninger, and Melissa Dotto. It was fun just spending time with all of them and Cal even taught me a few surfing tricks when I was failing miserably to stand on the board. During our chapel times in the evening we often got guests such as the youth group in the area and also the Livingstone family. There was quite a few musically talented people so we got to hear them play for a bit. It was also cool because we all had the chance to tell them about Kaleo, so I really got to reflect on the things that mattered to me and any changes taken place.

One morning we went for a hike to this beach with a bunch of nice rocks to climb on. Me and Nicole ventured out on the rocks to the end where you could see the ocean stretch out to the horizon. The water splashed on the rocks and we saw a sea otter; it was very peaceful. The actual times of surfing were great! Even though the rip current and waves were really strong and tiring to paddle against, it was very fun and I JUST LOVE SURFING. Oh, and it never fails that I end up talking to a random, creepy guy as I'm walking back from the beach on the last day (just like the last time, ha). Don't worry, it turned out to be an interesting conversation. The entire time he was doing stretches as his dog ran around on the beach. His name was David and he was from Nova Scotia and wanted to see the Pacific, so that's why he was there. He talked a lot about fulfillment and asked me about surfing and our group, so in return I asked him about his views on fulfillment and God. He wasn't a Christian, but he was happy to share his views and I shared mine. Then finally Jim and Ben came walking by so I joined them.

Friday was intense. In the morning I had an interview with Chantelle from Briercrest about this year and advice for next year. Then after chapel and lunch we got together to take a group picture of Kaleo and portraits once again. I had a yearbook meeting, then a Juniors retreat meeting, then worked the Juniors retreat from Friday to Sunday. A full weekend. I helped Stevie G. with Allstar Games, played bass, worked the tuck shop, made popcorn, worked challenge course, and did dishes. It was very busy and I still had to fit homework in between. I was disappointed again to miss youth and church like any other full weekend. Aw. Finally the burden of the retreat-working was lifted and I went to homeless ministry. Anna and Mary came with us (future K8's, ooooo) which was great. A few of us went down to the bridge area and met up with a group of people that were sitting around a smokey fire. Got to hear a few stories from people such as Kit-Kat and Vicky. Vicky lead a tough life and it was heartbreaking hearing her story. She was so appreciative for people that listened to her though. She had been hurt a lot and that make her dead-set on relying only on herself in life. We spoke hope into her life and my hope is that she will not live in the metaphorical pit she digs herself into any longer.

Today was our first class of Christian Worldview with Cal Macfarlane. I'm really liking this class as it's a mix of history, philosophy, and spiritual formation. Ultimate combo!
Tonight was our last gym night. :(
Thanks for the great fun everyone!

Please pray for:
-Vicky and the rest of the fire crew
-My classes that I'm picking tomorrow for Briercrest and clearer direction for future decisions
-Meaningful conversations during these last days




0 comments:

Post a Comment